What does Mame mean?
Mame Bonsai are very tiny bonsai trees, most are only 2" (5 cm) tall. They are one of the smallest kind of bonsai trees. As Mame builder is using bonsai.css
to achieve it's low CSS file size, this name was more then fitting. Mame generates ultra fast and tiny websites, without loosing any functionality or comfort.
Why another website builder?
As developers we were using Content-Management-Systems, like Joomla, WordPress or Drupal for ages. We even developed multiple extensions around and made our living with it. But with full blown CMS solutions creating fast and optimized sites always has been a lot of work. Reaching 100 % Lighthouse performance rating (Google Pagespeed) with a CMS is no fun at all. Additionally most CMS require a server side language, like PHP to display the content. This again leads into a huge maintenance effort, for keeping websites secure you need to install updates for both the server and the software itself fast.
Mame tries to combine the best from both worlds, a Content Management System in the backend, with site, page and section templates to avoid repeating yourself. Meanwhile generating a clean and fast website, consisting of semantic HTML only.
- Let's face it, creating technical decent websites takes a lot of time
- Because of this technically most websites are junk, insecure and bloated
- Most websites don't need a Content Management System (CMS)
- Web and Content has evolved to Frontend and SaaS
What makes Mame different then?
- Mame generates extremely lightweight sites. Clean and fast HTML markup, no clutter, no hacks. We aim at a 100% lighthouse score (Google PageSpeed).
- No Code, Drag & Drop WYSIWYG website editing
- Don't repeat yourself with Templates on all levels (from sites, over pages to sections)
- Powered by bonsai.css, a tiny utility complete Open Source CSS framework
- Focus on web standards, page speed and SEO
- Accessibility out of the Box
- Progressive Web App and AMP support
- Easily extensible and focus on non-opinionated choices
- No Vendor Lock-in, migrate and download your website from Mame at any time
P.S.: This site itself is build and deployed with Mame, check the markup, page speed and size.